Monday, September 22, 2014

Mothers Day Bouquet Quilt

I cant believe I forgot to post this quilt! I finished this one early this summer and entered it in the AV Fair last August. The pattern was found in Sweet Celebrations with Moda and is the Mothers Day Bouquet Quilt. I used one of Moda's fabric lines but have to check on which one it was. The quilt looks like flowers.

The back is a blue floral and the binding is stripes.

Speaking of the Fair, here it is on display at the Fair.

Scrap Happy Purse

One of the blogs I follow is Crazy Mom Quilts and recently saw her post about making a Scrap Happy Purse. I loved the look of this bag and really wanted to try making it. Given my past lack of success in making any kind of bag I was hesitant but finally decided to go for it. I went though the basket of scraps that I keep for Katie to play with and found more than enough scraps at the right size. It is pretty awesome because I remember all of the quilts and projects that I used these fabrics for, this makes the bag that much more special. I began the bag and thought that I would finish it quickly, however my Grandmother encountered some health issues and passed away quickly which led to family coming to town. Things are beginning to return to normal and one of the first projects I wanted to get back to was this. Tonight I finished sewing on the last handle. Here is the finished purse.

Here is a close up, I quilted lines on every 1/4 inch which took some time but really looks good.

Inside there are two pockets and a snap.

This bag was a lot of fun to make and I am really happy with how it came out!

Monday, August 18, 2014

Easy As Pie

Earlier this year, around April my office mate (we share an office at the library, she is also our teen librarian) came to work then had horrible stomach pain which took her to urgent care then the ER. Long story short she had several cancerous ovarian tumors which were removed in subsequent surgeries. She is now in chemo and doing good so we are all awaiting her return to work this December! What can I do when something happens to someone and I feel helpless...well a quilt is one thing. Here is her Easy As Pie Layer Cake Quilt. I used a layer cake of Strawberry Fields fabric. 

The boarder is a pink floral fabric and the back is a yellow strawberry print.

Very happy with how this quilt came out and cant wait to send it to her!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Peaches for the summer

The peach crop this year has been short so getting good peaches has been a challenge. I was able to get one box from the CSA and put them to good use.

First we made Peach Raspberry Jam from Taste of Home Canning and Preserving 

Next was Blueberry Peach Chutney from The Complete Book of Pickling

Third was Peach BBQ Sauce from The Art of Preserving

Finally was Peach Butter from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

Altogether a great way to to save the peaches from this summer. We are using the BBQ sauce on some chickens for dinner tonight!

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Corn and Relish

In my box of weekly vegetables I recently added on a dozen, then a few weeks later got another ten ears from the extra they had available. The result was canning corn.

My father was able to get a few zucchini from his plants so we made our favorite zucchini relish! So glad we got to make some this year as it is so delicious.