Monday, February 20, 2012

Presidents Day Weekend Pt 2

Next up was Sunday in our weekend adventure. It turned out to be a cold and windy day, I was thankful for the good weather the day before. We turned our attention to indoor projects I had planned. In our weekly CSA box we had gotten a ton of kiwi and they were everywhere, I had also ordered a 10 lb bag of ugly apples and a few weeks ago I had ordered a bag of oranges. I wanted to use this fruit before it spoiled so canning it was.

First up were the apples.


I bought these with the intention of making apple sauce for Katie, it is one of her favorite foods.


First I cored and sliced them.


Then cooked them in and inch of water.


After running them through the food mill they were processed and here you have apple sauce. 10 lbs of apples plus a few more came out to about 4 quarts.


Next it was time to deal with the kiwi. I found a recipe for Kiwi Jam in the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. The recipe uses kiwi, pectin, sugar and pineapple juice. We had about twelve kiwi and this used them all. First, I peeled and chopped them.



The ingredients were mixed and cooked then I added the sugar and cooked it more. 



We canned and processed it and now have kiwi jam.


The biggest challenge was the oranges, there is not much you can do with them but eat or juice them and we were not eating fast enough. When looking for something to do with kiwi the thought occurred to me that you can can oranges too, orange marmalade it was to be from the same cookbook as the Kiwi Jam.

Oranges are sliced, I think they look like little suns.


Peels are removed.


The oranges pulp  is chopped and some of the peel along with sliced lemon are mixed and heated to a simmer. 


Next the mixture has to sit in a cool area for 12-18 hours so that puts it into day three of the weekend. Who knew marmalade needed resting time...not me, but the garage is a nice cool area for it to rest.

No comments: