Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Hipper Crowd of Shushers

Check out this article from the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/fashion/08librarian.html?ex=1341806400&en=bb

A Hipper Crowd of Shushers
Published: July 8, 2007
A new type of librarian is emerging: think Dewey Decimal meets Generation X.


I liked the article and thought it helped fight the stereotype, something I always support. However there has been a backlash of librarians who say who cares about the image, why don't they focus on what we do not what we wear. I can sort of see that point but don't really agree. I think we have to become more known in the mainstream and need to look like we can be someone who the public can relate to in order make people more comfortable in approaching us. This is just my opinion but I think it was a good article :-)

No comments: