Sunday, February 17, 2008

Joel Dewberry Quilt

For my second quilt project I wanted to use prints from Joel Dewberry, I really like his prints and saw today that he has a new collection coming out soon! I started by laying all the prints out in the pattern I wanted on my living room floor. On the Amy Butler one I just did it random. For this I had gotten squares (4 inches) in two color schemes, one was red and black the second was a brown and yellow. I wanted to alternate the colors and not repeat too much in each row. There were a total of twelve rows. Once I had sewn the squares into rows it was time to sew the rows together.


Next the seams need to be pressed down.


After the top was ready (yesterday) I went to JoAnn's again to find some batting and fabric for the back. I selected a red of course. The technique I use to put them together is to lay out the batting, then the backing and the top on top with the wrong side up. I had to use a 20/80 batting this time ans am not a fan of working with it, previously I used all cotton batting and it was preferable. It is all pinned together and trimmed then I sew the edges, leaving a space big enough to turn out right side out.


Once the seam is sewn and its turned I like to press the edges to make sure it is flat. I then sew a seam around the edge to keep it all together, this also closes the opening I used to turn it out.


After the edge seam is done its time to "quilt" it. I made a line of stitches down every two rows. This Time I wanted to try something new (to me at least) and I put a red thread in the bobbin and kept the off white on top. The result was the stitches on the bottom were red and the top the off white. I think it looks good like that. Here is a close-up of the prints.



A look from the top. This one is actually long enough to totally cover my legs and feet!


A look at a bit of the back. You can see the off white stitches around the edge and the red blend right in.


I one other project I worked on the last few days too, but wont be putting any pictures up for awhile since it is a gift for a new arrival coming soon. Since this is a long weekend I expect to be able to get a few other things completed so keep an eye out for more posts soon!

1 comment:

The Food Librarian said...

Shannon, This is beautiful!!! I love the patterns.