Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap

In my reading I came across information about making your own laundry soap. Most of the soap you buy has a lot of extra chemical in it which can be go into the water system. The ingredients seemed simple so I figured I would give it a try. I found several recipes that were all basically the same. The blog Down to Earth is a place with a lot of inspiration with a lot of green cleaning recipes. The Borax was easy to find the other two ingredients I found at Soaps Gone Buy, which also has recipes. For my first attempt I am making the dry soap but if it works I plan to try making the liquid soap next.

First off is the list of ingredients: Washing Soda, Borax and Laundry Soap (I used Fels-naptha but there are others you can use)


The first step is to grate the soap, a good time to bring out the food processor.


It looks a little like strange cheese.


Next measure out the washing soda and borax. If I had a regular size food processor I could have just added them in but I needed to break it into smaller portions.


Whirling away in the food processor, it looks all white but really had the yellow grated soap in there being broken up further.


The finished product in a reused spaghetti jar. A regular load takes two tablespoons of soap so this should last a little while. One thing about this soap is it will not create suds. Laundry day is coming up so we will see how it goes.

No comments: