Sunday, August 03, 2008

Burp Cloths

I have been working on several project for the coming arrival. One is burp cloths which seemed fairly easy to make. After researching some techniques and patterns I found one I thought would work. I printed it out and made a pattern on freezer paper.


I bought three baby prints and started tracing the pattern.


Next I used the rotary cutter and cut them out.


Here are the three prints.


And a close up, rattles, cows and moons and little tiger, giraffes and palm trees (my favorite).


Next came the hard part, I spent last weekend cutting out the print fabrics, adding a few from fabric I already have too. I had about 31 cut but my back hurt and it was more difficult than I thought trying to cut fabric these days. My brother came to visit this weekend and help me. Each cloth has three layers the print, flannel and terry cloth, that's a lot of cutting! This is how you layer them:


This is the start of a lot of burp cloth layers.


Here is the burp cloth sewn together (don't forget to leave an opening to turn it).


A stack of sewn together cloths. By the way terry cloth is very messy, I still have white fiber all over my apartment.


Here is one after being turned


Next I ironed them to ensure they were flat pinned the opening together so the would be ready for the next step which is to sew a seam around the edge which also closes it up.


And finally here are 31 finished burp cloths spread out on the ironing board.


A closer look at a finished product. Some of them I used a zigzag stitch or a straight stitch or a few other stitches that are on my sewing machine, when your sewing 31 you can afford to be creative. This one has a zigzag stitch.


I have several other projects in progress, I am working at a slower pace these days, but I will post them as they get done.

No comments: