Friday, May 27, 2011

Receiving Blanket Quilt

Katie's Receiving Blanket Quilt is a project I started about a year and a half ago. I wanted to make something useful with her blankets that she could still use even though she has outgrown them. My project got waylaid by packing/moving/broken sewing machine/etc... A few months ago I got around to finishing cutting the fabric. 

We have here large squares and small squares.


The small squares we sewn together in sets of two...


Sets of two became sets of four...


Sets of four were attached to the large squares...


These became rows and the rows became the top and bottom of the quilt. Due to the amount of blankets Katie had the front and back of the quilt are the same pattern. I have a set of three blankets with a slightly different color scheme of pink and brown which I cut and was going to use as a border but ultimately did not. I did use a few of the pieces in this quilt to get even numbers.


Now, Katie knew this blanket was being made for her and she wanted nothing more than for me to put it on the floor so she could use it. 


Here she is showing us her flexibility.


I think she likes it.


After Katie went to sleep I laid the quilt out. Instead of doing the binding method I went back to my old method of sewing it inside out and flipping it.


Here it is flipped and ready to be sewn up. I sewed around the border (which also closed it) and then sewed lines half and inch on each side of the seams of the large blocks. I then tacked, using the bottom of a button hole stitch in the center of each large square. This should hold it together better, I hope. 


This blanket is super soft and warm, I really like how it turned out.

1 comment:

The Food Librarian said...

Totally cute! You are an amazing quilter! I love the step by step photos too...little pieces become something so pretty! - mary