Sunday, September 18, 2011

Canning Part III

Yes it is true...the canning continues. Luckily the tomato harvest has slowed down, for awhile we were getting 12 lbs a week! We have made quite a lot of the Tomato Basil Simmer Sauce mention earlier. This weekend my CSA offered a 20 lb box of Granny Smith for $10, you can not beat that price so it was time to can apples and catch up on the blog.

Lets start with Yellow Pear Tomato Preserves



You might notice the table cloth, Katie picked it for Halloween which of course means it goes on the table now. The recommended serving is to pour it over something like brie and eat it with crackers. Sounds good to me. We found this recipe on the internet.

Tomato Salsa



This is a basic salsa but used up a ton of peppers. It came from Joy of Pickling.

These are Refrigerator Pickled Tomatillos


I have not tried them yet but hear they are pretty good. These also come from Joy of Pickling.

To start off the apple here is Spiced Apple Rings


 These are yummy! The recipe came from You Can Can.

Spiced Apple Chutney


I am really liking these chutney's, this winter we will be making a lot of roasts slathered in these.

Apple Preserves



(the photo is dark, I forgot to get a picture when there was still light outside) We made biscuits tonight and tried these preserves, the taste reminds me of ginger ale, tart and gingery. It comes from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Maple Apple Onion Relish


This one I think will be really good. It comes from The Complete Book of Pickling.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You have been busy. I'm done with fruit except the cherries in the freezer for jam or something and the 40 pounds of tomatoes. Tomorrow is the beginning of tomato day. I still have masses of onions and potatoes. Unfortunately, my trusty dehydrator died.