Saturday, March 16, 2013

Grape Trellis

Last year I planted two grape plants. We built them a simple trellis last year that consisted of two posts and some line. The grapes did very well and over grew what was built. This year I knew they needed a larger trellis and pruning them was a good time to do it. Our primary source of information on how to prune them and different types of structures to build was The Grape Grower which I easily found at my library. We started with a trip to Home Depot where I bought two 8 foot 4x4's and a roll of 12 gauge tension wire. I use the term we loosly, my brother actually did most of the actual work. He dug two two foot holes on each side of the existing trellis the put the posts in at an angle.


Next we packed the dirt in tightly around the posts to hold them at the angle.




Next two 10 inch anchors were placed outside of the posts.



Next the old posts and cord were removed.


My brother then drilled holes in the posts for the wire.


A length of wire is attached to the post and the anchor. More wire is pulled through the holes then tightened to created the needed tension. 


Next we used some pieces of wood I had in the garage to stake the grapes and train them up. Once we had selected the branches that would be attached to the stake the others were pruned off.


And here it is, my new completed grape trellis.


No comments: