Sunday, March 10, 2013

Seeds, Strawberries and Rhubarb

This winter I have purchased seeds from two companies. My first choice is the Sandy Hill Preservation Center this group provides heirloom seeds and work to preserve genetic diversity. They are a very interesting company from whom we have bought seeds before and been successful. I also support their philosophy and where their seeds are coming from. The second company I purchase from (when Sandy Hill doesn't have one I am looking for) is Johnny's Seeds, they are a traditional large seed company not quite as embroiled in the GMO madness that is out there. The final company I have purchased from this year is Gurneys. I went to them to get the plants I wanted, strawberries and rhubarb. I have found it difficult to find anything other than mainstream items at the local stores and there are very few actual nursery's around any more. 

This last week my package of strawberries and rhubarb arrived. I also ordered some of their strawberry food, a fertilizer designed specifically for strawberries. I selected two types  of strawberries Eversweet and Everbearing. Both should be successful in this climate. I have not had a huge amount of success with the strawberries I have purchased from stores, most have died.


One type of strawberry has been growing but I do not remember what type it is. We did get several small strawberries last year.


The strawberries are under the rose bushes, while some are growing I want to fill this area in and have some diversity.


Each package of plants had about 25 strawberries, so all together I planted around 50 plants in this planter.

Rhubarb is something I have wanted to try to grow, I have heard it will grow out here and there are a lot of foods that can be made with it. I planted the plant between my new peach tree and the pomegranate. If successful these plants can grow fairly large.


In other planting news I did pick up some succulents to replace what was lost this winter. I have four different plants that I have put into pots. I will be keeping them close to the house till the last freeze has passed just to be safe.

No comments: