Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Compost

A compost bin is a great way to get rid of yard waste and kitchen garbage and get some great mulch. As a housewarming gift we got a compost bin. In December Katie and I put it together.


We put it in the back yard and filled it with the leaves that accumulated in the yard, trimmings from around the yard, grass clipping from the two times the lawn has been mowed since we moved in and kitchen scraps. My brother and I have turned it once. The hope is that some of it will be ready for the garden in a few months.



Here is a peek inside, with some fresh kitchen scraps and its ready for some more turning.


I have realized I might need to get a second one for when the grass starts to really grow and to keep a rotation  of new stuff and what has broken down.

No comments: