Saturday, August 06, 2011

Canning Part I

The garden has really kicked into high production lately which means we have been eating a lot and canning even more. Well to be honest my brother has planned and completed a lot of the canning.

One of the first things I made was Strawberry Rhubarb jam using the strawberries we picked a few months ago at Underwood Farms.


For some reason the solids of the jam rise to the top, I have read many causes for it, it has happened before but it still tastes good so I do not mind. This recipe came from the Pectin box.

Next we have Salsa Verde.


It is a tomatillo salsa from Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving it is very mild in flavor so I want to find one with a little kick next time. 

These are Dill Zucchini Pickles


This is one we are entering in the AV Fair this year. They came from Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. They are some pretty awesome looking spears, I have not tried them yet.

Zucchini Relish is one we made last year and the stuff is amazing, not to mention very pretty.


There is a lot of chopping involved here but the relish is far superior to pickle in my opinion, the flavor is not as sweet. This one came from Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.

Next are Zucchini Pickles


The zucchini pickles which came from somewhere I can not recall. Sliced and preserved much like a regular pickle.

Now we have English Bread and Butter Pickles


A regular pickle made with cucumber and bread and butter flavored. Also unknown recipe at this time.

And finally for today Tomatillo Sauce


This is a tomatillo sauce that has several recipes it can be used for later. This one smelled great while cooking and came from Well-Preserved.

2 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

If there is a disaster (what? that could never happen in Southern Cal), I'm heading up to your house! I've never heard of zucchini pickles! Awesomeness.

Laura said...

You've been busy. Our garden is slow this year. I hope we don't have an early winter to go with our late spring and summer. My canning time will come.