Monday, August 06, 2012

Tutu Time

Katie has a few tutu skirts which she wears all the time at home. I have given thought to making her a tutu but had not actually done it. This last weekend we caught a great sale at the fabric store getting fabric for Katie's Halloween costume and I noticed tulle at .89 cents a yard, a deal not to pass up. I let Katie pick out six colors and got two yards of each. There are many web sites that show how to make tutu's, I decided to go with the tying method. I took three colors (purple, blue and white) and cut them into six inch strips along the width of fabric. I then cut along the fold line, basically cutting it in half. I measured half inch elastic around Katie's waist, sewed it and began looping the tulle. There was enough tulle to go around twice which makes a very full skirt.

Here is the waist band.


The complete skirt.


Katie and Olive in the yard, she put it on as soon as I finished it.




Picking tomatoes in the tomato forest.


The tutu was a quick project, it took about half an hour in total to finish it. The next one is two shades of pink and black and she will be set for tutu's for awhile.

No comments: