Monday, March 17, 2008

Doorstop

Tonight I decided to make the doorstop from Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter. I got some fabric from my Grandmother and there was some black fabric I thought would work good. I also picked up five pounds of soy beans this last weekend to fill it. The first step of course is to draw and cut out the fabric.


Here are the top, bottom and four sides, the handle also had to cut out.


The handle is the first thing to be sewn, sew the handle to the top, then I sewed the sides to the top. Next was to sew the sides together and the bottom to the sides leaving a space to put the beans in.


Here are the five pounds of soy beans that need to be put in. I used a piece of paper as a funnel to help get all the soy beans in, it took a little while.


I thought I would be able to sew the hole closed on my sewing machine but this proved to be very difficult, I had hand sew it shut. You can also see all the powder from the beans on the fabric.


And here is the finished product. A fairly simple doorstop that will now keep the door open even when its windy outside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea but I'm concerned that the soya beans may make a slightly lumpy bag compared to say lentils or split peas. Also, do your bags have slightly yeasty or fausty odour?

Anonymous said...

I have not noticed any problems with it, it does not look very lumpy and I have not noticed an odor. The odor might be a problem in a more humid climate.