Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Year's Weekend

As New Year's weekend approached the thought occurred to me that I had several days off and should do some more painting! I had the big wall in my living room, the dining room and library/fire place room to paint before starting my next project. The walls were to be painted the same color as the hallway Behr Premium Ultra paint in eggshell rather than semi-gloss. We started Saturday morning with the big living room wall. First task was to remove the wall plates.


We also removed the air vents and coat rack. Here is a look at the painted hall and the unpainted wall.


Another look at the before.


This is a close up of the meeting of the two walls. Before painting all of the cracks and dings were filled with spackle and other marks such as previous paint drips were sanded.


A last look at the unpainted wall


We were able to finish the wall in a day, including the floor molding. I had hoped that the paint would cover in one coat but it took two. Sunday we began the dining room and I bought a 5 gallon bucket of paint. I did not get any before pictures but here is a look at the after, it is a much brighter room now. Also now that there is real paint on the wall it should be much easier to keep clean since I can actually clean the walls without wiping off paint.


Monday was the day to start the last room. I knew this room would take a lot of work since it had the most furniture and three windows to work around. Here is a look at the before


Once the room was cleared we started painting, sometimes we dress up to paint


Here is the wall in progress, you can see the color difference. The new color looks almost the same in daylight but the base color is much lighter which is why it took two coats on all the walls. Also the eggshell vs flat paint allows the walls to be slightly reflective of the light which also helps to brighten up the space.


Here is the finished room the next morning. We did not finish this room and get it put back together in one day.


Another after view


And one more


I have been putting off this painting project for awhile just because of the pure amount of work I knew it would be, however the results are completely work it. Everything looks much brighter and cleaner. At night the house is not nearly as dark in the unlit areas. There is just one room left to paint.

No comments: