Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Planting and Pruning

Since my floors are done it is time to begin looking outside. We have started looking at seeds and making plans for the yard and things got started this week. For my birthday I was given an Ultra Dwarf Red Baron Peach tree. This tree is awesome because it will only grow to be 5'-8' tall which will work out good in my yard. I decided to plant it on the side of the yard near the pomegranate tree. First I measure for a good location then started digging.


A good sign about my soil is that immediately we saw a lot of worms. Katie loves worms and began collecting them. 


She carried them on the sleeve of her jacket and put them in a bucket of dirt.


The tree went in quickly, here is Katie to show the current size of the tree.


Since I was working in the yard I decided to start pruning as well. I have been hesitant to prune since it has been a very cold winter, but it is warming up a little and I wanted to get it done before things start sprouting. Here is a look at the roses in the front yard. Despite the cold the leaves did not fall off, however the came off easily. I have six bushes three were here when I bought the house and three are new ones I have planted.


Here is a look at the after. The jasmine against the wall is doing very well and has not been affected by the weather. 


Olive watched the fun from the window.


Katie checked out the pruned roses and declared them naked.


I also did some pruning on the pomegranate tree, not a lot but cut off the suckers and some of the crossed branches.


Speaking of the cold, I believe I lost my succulents. I have had a jade plant for about seven years and several plants from the original, they did not like the weather which was in the low teens at night.


Looking around the yard today it was interesting to see what might survive and what might not make it.   I still need to prune the grapes but that can not be done until after the last freeze.

No comments: