Sunday, March 13, 2011

Compost in my driveway

One day last week there was a delivery in my driveway. We had compost delivered to assist the soil in my backyard. Unfortunately they came a little early and blocked my car in the garage but I still made it to work thanks to my Mom.


When Katie and I went out to look at it she kept saying "Its dirt!"


My brother had already tilled the yard in preparation for the compost.


Katie and Kevin got to work, first they shoveled the compost into the cart.


Then they started wheeling the cart to the backyard.


They went down the side of the house to get there, Olive helped too.


Then they dumped the cart in the garden area.


They worked on it all day, Katie changed clothes and eventually the pile of compost was worked down.


But they continued to move it.


Until it was all in the backyard and a fresh layer of compost was ready to be tilled into the soil.


You might notice in the corner the compost bin and a new structure.


My compost bin has been very full. I looked into getting another bin or building one but the cost was a little excessive. My brother came up with making one with chicken wire, did you know it comes in plastic now? He used some posts from my parents house and zip ties. Now there is plenty of space for the composting to expand.

No comments: