Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bibs getting finished

I have been trying to get some projects done that have been sitting around for awhile (you could say the two month countdown is getting started). One of those things was a stack of bibs that my Mom and I worked on that just needed snaps to be completed. This morning I took out my trusty snap thingy and went to work.

I was able to finish these and get them put in with the baby stuff.

I still have eight more to do, but ran out of snap pieces, so they will have to wait until I get back to the craft store.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ladybug Hair Ribbons

Ladybugs! That is the theme I selected for my upcoming baby shower. Turns out its a little more challenging to find ladybug stuff in the fall but that is ok. One thing my Mom wanted was some hair bows for my cousins daughters. She got the supplies and turned it over to me to see what I could make.

The ribbon was an adorable green with pink ladybugs. There are also two sized of hair clips.

Now I thought starting off that I would just need this things and some glue. However I ended up pulling out wire and the hot glue gun. Eventually I was able to make a bow with 24 gauge wire that I was pretty satisfied with.

Next I decided I needed to cover the hair clip since the bow would not cover the whole thing. I used hot glue for this.

The next step was to attach the bows to the covered hair clips, again it was all about the hot glue gun.

I knew that the bows still needed something more so I dug into my beads and found some that added a little something to the bows giving us the finished product.

Scalloped Edge Blanket

The scalloped edge blanket comes from Amy Karol's "Bend-the-Rules Sewing". I made this blanket a few months ago and have made a few others for baby shower gifts as well. Actually I should say my Mom and I made them, sitting in front of the sewing machine gets more and more difficult these days. (By the way, my sewing machine has recently returned!)

First I traced the pattern on the fabric.

The three layers (the print, cotton batting and red backing) are sandwiched together, pinned and sewn. The scallops have to be sewn very slowly.

Next the excess fabric is cut off and the blanket is turned right side out. The quilting lines are sewn in and then the edge is sewn, once again slowly around each scallop. The opening is then closed.

Here is the finished product! If you recognize the fabric, I made a dress out of it awhile ago.

Here is some detail.

And with the red backing fabric.

Sunday, October 05, 2008

My poor sewing machine

So my Mom came to visit today and we were working on the cutest little baby clothes when my sewing machine finally went too far. It has had problems for awhile now with the tension I think, the thread would keep breaking when I was sewing but today things went totally wacky. My Mom took the machine with her to take it to the sewing machine doctor and see whats wrong, hopefully it wont be too expensive and I can find something to do to keep me busy in the mean time.