Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Halloween Jelly Roll Race Quilt

Have you heard of a Jelly Roll Race Quilt? I had not until last year when I talked with a coworker whose quilting group was making them for a charity. She referred to a video on YouTube which I found here I thought, wow I could do that. I had been wanting to make a Halloween quilt in time for Halloween (have I mentioned this was early last year?). I ordered a jelly roll of Moda's Happy H"owl"o-ween. A jelly roll is a collections of 2 1/2" x 44" strips of fabric, typically include 40 strips of fabric. Following the instructions in the video I made the quilt top, it went very quickly and I had a quilt top in just a few hours. I also included a five inch border to make it a little larger. 

It was at this point in time that my sewing machine died. I had a Singer Confidence that I purchased just under two years before. Needless to say I went without a sewing machine for awhile. I tried to get the machine repaired but was told the electronics had fried and it could not be repaired. I had contact with Singer multiple time but to no result. Eventually I bought a Brother machine and still hesitated to open it hoping I could get my Singer fixed. Finally I opened my new machine and a few months ago learned how to use it. I got this quilt and one other quilted and was pretty happy with the machines performance. Next I did the binding and now have a completed quilt with plenty of time until Halloween!


Here is a closer look, I quilted it with black thread to help the Halloween look.


Now a look at the binding and back too.


This is the backing fabric.


Katie is a big fan of this quilt.



No comments: